We all work to be paid; there’s no question about it. But there is more to work than just a paycheck. We seek more than just a bi-weekly deposit in our checking accounts. We’re seeking value, balance, and happiness- three things that sometimes are under-communicated in interviews, nonexistent in some work environments, and harder to achieve than they should be.
So, the Big Question is …
What is more important to you as a professional: substance or stability? Purpose or paycheck? Freedom or finances? Whichever you value most is your prerogative.
But as we continue to stride through this progressive era, toxic work environments and burnout jobs need to shift gears and catch up. Because the truth of the matter is that many businesses are following suit and realizing that creating healthy work environments, strong work culture, and putting their employees first is the recipe for success in both growth and revenue. And for employees, it’s important to know that all of these things can co-exist, and this type of equilibrium can be yours.
An article published by The Balance Careers discusses the average amount of hours worked by Americans, broken out by different demographics, and concludes that the average number of hours worked per week is 34.4. By the end of a calendar year, this totals 1,788.8 hours. That’s a significant amount of time dedicated to something that may or may not make us happy.
If you are unhappy or unsatisfied with a job, it can affect other areas of your life, such as mental health, relationships, and overall well-being. And even though you’re seeing dollar signs on your pay stub, at what expense does this become more important?
Did you know that only 45% of Americans are satisfied at work?
If you’ve found a role that provides everything you desire with good pay, then great! Congratulations! Because the results from a Harris study found that only 45% of American workers are satisfied with their jobs. So what about the other 55%? This statistic is more than half of the American workforce, and I hope to see that percentage decrease as employers begin to recognize that this is unacceptable and change needs to happen.
Most businesses have plenty of opportunities to create a healthier environment and increase job satisfaction. We believe this all begins with three simple things:
There are thousands of resources out there to aid employers in recognizing areas that need improvement, help navigate them through crafting a plan with long-term solutions, and ultimately guide them in the execution of this throughout their workforce.
OKAY, take a breather if you’re starting to have existential thoughts. We are not trying to get you to go and quit your job immediately without a plan or cause an uproar in your office. However, I hope we did encourage any working adult to reflect on their current role, determine what may or may not be wrong, and consider the options.
If you’re reading this and begin to notice that your work culture is lacking, feel similarly regarding job satisfaction, and wonder how to navigate – we’ve narrowed it down to seven action items for you.
And remember, you are not alone.
As the writer of this blog article and employee of Workplace Harmony, I want you to know you are not alone. I was someone who, just this time last year, felt undervalued, underpaid, and unsatisfied with my work before working where I am now. It left me feeling stressed, fatigued, and simply just unhappy.
I’m happy to report that I’m now working in a healthy environment whose work culture allows me to feel happy and satisfied at the end of each week. More importantly, I have the pleasure of working on a team that helps build and improve other company work cultures, creating harmony between employees and employers – pioneering businesses into a new way of thinking.
Job satisfaction is truly achievable, and I hope you get yours soon!
Megan Keough, HR Advisor
Megan Keough is an HR Advisor at Workplace Harmony. She began her career in higher education, assisting faculty and staff for over three years with various Human Resources needs. In early 2021, Megan joined the Workplace Harmony team as an HR Generalist. She supports clients in different capacities, helping rebuild and rebrand their HR departments, creating and implementing new process flows, and much more!
Hi, I'm Lauren
I'm the founder and chief boss lady at Workplace Harmony. Welcome to New School HR!
Work with us
Put a little Harmony in your Inbox!